Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sell your Harley Davidson.

I was reading some today. Luke 12:33. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.
I give to the poor God. I help those less fortunate than me. And I'm not rich...and...and...and....
And I also argue with God sometimes. Well, I argue, He doesn't. I read a line in a book once "The truth only smiles". I translate that to "The TRUTH only smiles". God knows the deal, He doesn't have to argue, He smiles in His knowledge that we will work it out...or not.
 I was looking thru some pictures posted by our senior pastor, Artie Davis, on his trip to Liberia.
 My wife has been to Liberia. I have not. Some of Artie's pictures are of people less fortunate than me. Mywife said of these same people (she went to the very same area) "they have nothing, and are twice as happy as us".  I know that the decision to give when it hurts is up to the individual, and that decision is reliant on what God is doing in a person's life. I also know that I have a Harley Davidson Softail sitting in my garage...Could that be a target? A way to give?
 I am not saying "sell your house and go live in a cardboard box", although I have read of one man in particular that did that.
Anyway, why am I writing this? Just to stir a little thinking down in your own soul. Remember...the Truth only smiles.
...but I really like my bike God....

3 comments:

Ian@UK said...

I think it's important to distinguish what you mean by poor? Is that what Jesus meant by poor?

Are you placing your socio-economic value system upon another people group?

And, who are 'the poor' for you. Are they some distant village, or are 'the poor' a REAL group of people who you have to be in contact with daily? I think the heavier burden to carry, the higher cost to pay is to invest yourself in the lives of the poor, to fight their cause!

Perhaps the harley is a way in to a particular community in your location. What about the bikers community?

Think outside the box!

Aaron Cirilo said...

Good post.. causes me to think.

Mike said...

We must give off the goodness of our hearts but not moralistically. We shouldn't go into self-righteous giving. Although we should have a commitment to give to our local church. We can't save the world though and give to everyone and everything. We give in different ways to Godly causes that God has given us passion for we give directly. Ones that are Godly that God has not put a passion into us we give indirectly through the church.

About Me

My photo
Married to the love of my life, a son, a father, a Worship leader and worshiper, Following Christ, Livin' Large & Livin' Free.